Friday, March 6, 2020

#SOL20 Day 6. If This Isn't Nice...


In mid-January, Paula Borque shared an article on the #100daysofnotebooking page. What Kurt Vonnegut Taught Us About the Science of Happiness resonated with me. The article explains that when it comes to bad experiences our brains are like velcro--we really hang onto them. When it comes to good experiences, the things that make us happy, our brains are like Teflon--we let them slide right by. We simply don't think about them long enough for them to stick in our brains.

And that is why I've been celebrating those moments in my life for a few years now. It's the little things that make me happy. And it's those little things I want to remember. So I've resurrected my Friday Favorites, Celebrations, Gratitudes, in my new writing life. 

"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." 

1. Subbing 2 days and off 3. My perfect week!  A shortage of subs, the flu season coming back around, all make for long weeks. I love subbing, but it sure was nice this week to only work on Monday and Tuesday and have the rest of the week to do whatever I wanted!

2. It has been nice enough this week to take walks with Chloe. She LOVES getting to go for walks again. She thinks she has to stop and smell at every tree and every hydrant, so our walks are a little slow. But the sun feels warm and life is good.

3. Signs of spring in NE Iowa--the street sweeper has been seen around town and my tulips are up about an inch.

4. A night home alone. My husband went to his brother's and so the night was mine. I ate what I wanted. Watched what I wanted. And the remote stayed with me all night!

5. I've found my community again in 2020. From #100daysofnotebooking to this slice of life challenge, I'm back writing and sharing my story. I feel whole again. 

Enjoy your weekend. Pay attention to the little things that make you happy, that make you smile. And don't forget the mantra:
"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."


5 comments:

  1. Subbing two days and off three sounds like an ideal week to me too! I am so glad you and Chloe are enjoying your walks. We are soon to begin the hunt for a new dog, and I am so looking forward to getting back into my regular walking routine. I smiled at the quote here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the perfect schedule for a retired teacher. I still get to do what I love. I just don't have to do it every day AND no schoolwork!

      Delete
  2. I am with you in this - gratitude and celebrating, both little and big things, helps to remember and builds happiness. You have a lovely list of celebrations. Six days of the March challenge could be added to the gratitude list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our district just changed the pay scale for subs. Raised the overall pay, but for district retirees, it went up to $130 a day and long term subs are paid their last teacher salary. We have such a sub shortage thaat they had to do soething!

    Night alone, community of writers, and signs of spring...that's a pretty darn good week!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...