Tuesday, March 3, 2020

#sol20 Day 3 Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Story cubes, screwdriver, book tape, extra k-cups, hot chocolate, paper clips, golf ball, wrench, remotes, post-it notes, hairbrushes, pictures, staples, scissors, tacks, money, magnets,


Well, you get the idea. I had A LOT in my drawers at school, and it all got used eventually.





The hardest part about subbing?  Consolidating "essentials" into one little (OK. Not so little) bag.

The first thing I unpack is always my Clorox or Lysol wipes. You never know what germs inhabit a teacher desk. OK. I do know and that's why I disinfect first!

My computer comes out next, so I can email attendance and keep up with daily announcements.

My calendar to mark the day.



My 5 Star graph paper notebook for writing notes to teachers and my writer's notebook, because I haven't been going anywhere without it! And don't forget pens--Flairs, InkJoy, and some plain old Bic Sticks are necessities!





Also tucked inside, a book and a magazine. The truth about subbing in a high school classroom is that many times, teachers have left independent work for kids to do. There is only so much walking around and peeking over their shoulders a sub can do. So when I'm not writing, I'm reading.


Other essentials:
Hand sanitizer. Used multiple times a day, sometimes multiple times a class period
Hand lotion.
Chapstick
Chocolate
A small snack bag
Sometimes my breakfast
Computer charger
Kleenex
Money
Cough drops
Phone
Post-it notes

Thank heavens I found a small corner of a cupboard in the lounge for my coffee mug and water bottle!




12 comments:

  1. Teacher bag is a treasure chest. Good exercise too when carrying it all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am building up arm and shoulder muscles!

      Delete
  2. In an old movie, One Fine Day (I think), two parents leave their children at a drop-in daycare that's having a Halloween party, and the children need costumes. The mother pulls all they need (and more) out of her bag. George Clooney (I think) asks Michelle Pfeiffer (I think), "Where do you get a bag like that?" Although I can't remember lots of details, I have never forgotten that line, which shows that some people (men?) have absolutely no knowledge of how to pack a bag with things you need. Those bags cannot be bought! You are NOT one of those people who doesn't know. What a marvelous assortment of exactly what can carry you through the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have seen this movie. I'm going to look it up!

      Delete
  3. When my son was little, like just talking age, he used to tell people we had a "drunk drawer". I always think of that description whenever I shove the junk drawer contents down so I can shut it. Thanks for sharing your writing. Happy slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A teacher's bag is sure a catch all for everything. My previous bag was large and stuffed with stuff. I couldn't even find things in there! I recently switched to a backpack and feel so much lighter. Great, relate-able slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which is worse - a techer bag or a diaper bag! And what's a bag without chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought at first you were describing your junk drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I spy a book I love in the mix!! Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All is sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are adequately prepared! Back in the day when I subbed for high school, I always brought a book. Inevitably, the kids knew exactly what to do and didn't need my assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a bag just for subbing. That way it stayed packed and ready to go. Now with babysitting grand boys three days a week, I no longer sub. But some of those same items go in my grandma bag!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...