Nine Division 1 rating and 7 Division 2 ratings. My co-coach and I are happy. Yesterday was a good day at State Speech. But, Uffda! It was a long one. Up at 4:00am. On the bus at 5:15am for an hour and a half bus ride. A full day of performances and running around campus. We finally arrived home at 7:00pm.
Trust me. The wine at the end of the day tasted really good.
There are lots of things to celebrate besides ratings though.
- Students themselves could see the growth they made-even if they didn't get a 1.
- The smile and thrill of the freshman who received ones from all his judges (there are 3 at state) and the jacket his parents had to buy him because of it. Evidently, the jacket was all the incentive he needed.
- We had a "Promposal" yesterday also. And the best part was they met at the speech contest a couple of weeks before.
- Seniors who tried new events and wished they had tried them before
- Making judges cry
- Parents who drive an hour and a half to see their son or daughter perform for five minutes
- Chocolate malts while we waited for the final results.