Monday, March 25, 2013
#25 of 31 Always
One of the best things about teaching Creative Writing is that I give them a writing prompt every day to write about. And on days like today, when I'm not sure what to write about, I can rely on the prompt. Today's prompt was:
"Give 10 useful pieces of advice to a specific group or person. Begin each piece of advice with Always..."
So here it goes. 10 pieces of advice for bloggers with writer's block.....
1. Always have a back up plan. If you don't teach creative writing and have a ready supply of prompts, steal ideas from other bloggers! Really. They won't mind.
2. Always keep your writer's notebook handy. Jot down bits of your day. You never know what will make a blog post.
3. Always read. Read books. Read blog posts. Read Twitter. Ideas show up in the strangest places.
4. Always search the internet for ideas. There are some great sites out there with amazing prompts (creativewriting-prompts.com).
5. Always listen to music. I don't know what it is about music, but it often gives me great ideas. Write about memories it brings back or how it makes you feel.
6. Always talk to people. Explain what you mean. Explain what you are thinking. Talk about what makes you laugh, what makes you cry, what makes you angry. Then write.
7. Always listen to people. They have stories to tell.
8. Always let your dog write if you can't think of anything to say.
9. Always take a walk with your camera. Take pictures and write about them.
10 Always write.