Tuesday, March 28, 2017

{solsc} 28/31 #sol17 Saying Good-bye

Tonight was my last speech awards night. I needed to say good-bye....

10 years.

“When does speech start, Mrs. Day?”

I’ve come in early and stayed late. Read scripts and planned rehearsals
“Remember, you need to plan a beginning, middle and an end”  But what do I know?
“Don’t be inappropriate”

I’ve listened to kid after kid
Slow down
Speed up
Enunciate

I’ve ridden more school buses than a 60-year-old should have to
I’ve locked keys in buildings
Blown out projector bulbs
Raced to the gym for forgotten ballots
Wiped tears, hugged and consoled, and given a million high fives.

I have beamed with pride as the nervous performed and they know they’ve done their best and I’ve celebrated excellence at All-State.

But
It has never been about me.
This has never been my speech team.

It is yours. It is as successful as you make it.
Juniors, you are now the leaders.
Step up.
Talk to Mrs. LeFebvre about what you want to do. Help her out at rehearsals. Help the newbies. Recruit!

Next year won’t be the same--for any of us.
But it will be what you make it.

Make it a good one.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on all of your hard work! They're better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kind of goodbye they needed... probably one of the hardest for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the lives influenced, all the positive memories, and all the laughter echoing through the halls. You can't take any of that away.

    Thank you for the reflective slice. I'll miss running into you at speech contest next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful and meaningful goodbye.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...