Thursday, March 9, 2023

9/31 #sol23 Plant Babies

 

Mom says I got my green thumb from her mom. Could be. But I spend a lot of time taking care of my babies. Most of them I have rescued either from friends and family or Walmart. Wherever I get them, they all need a little TLC.

These are second-generation Boston Ferns. I rescued the original plant from Walmart three or four years ago. It started with four fronds. Last fall, before I took it apart, it was probably three feet across.

Seriously. It was huge. And it had overgrown its pot and made a horrible mess in the dining room where I hung it for the winter. I decided it was time to do something.

Websites I found said you could do one of two things to propagate new plants. The first was to cut the plant into pieces and plant them. The other was to take the little seed balls and plant them.


So I did both. And they are all doing great and ready for spring---if it ever gets here!





I also have some deep purple Morning Glories sprouting. My niece from Colorado sent the seeds to me because I loved these wrapped around her deck when we visited this summer.





This is from an African Violet from a plant I bought twenty years ago. It started dying off, so I plucked this little sprout off of the main plant and am hoping it will start a new plant. 









And this one makes me most excited. It's a bright orange hibiscus--another Walmart rescue. There are several buds on it right now and they should bloom in a few weeks. This is its third year. It started off spindling and about a foot tall. Now, it's about three feet tall. During the summer it lives on the deck and in the winter it's a dining room dweller. 


Now, if it would quit snowing, get warm, and stay that way, I could think about outdoor plants!

4 comments:

  1. This is impressive! I have a plant on my desk at school that I have had since day one. It is not doing well at all. I think I need to take it out of the pot and try to nurture it a little more...or send it to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love plants. Sometimes I think I have too many, but I can't just let them die!

      Delete
  2. Wow, from a brown thumb girl...how you have rescued plants is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...