Tuesday, March 7, 2023

7/31 #sol23. A Walmart Trip That Made Me Smile

A lot of times, a trip to Walmart makes me grouchy. Too many people. Long lines. And I always spend more than I planned. Many years ago I took a class where a guy said every time he drives past Walmart, he should just throw $50 out the window. 

I kind of feel the same way.

But today, a trip to Walmart brought a smile to my face and it still hasn't gone away.

There I was. Standing in a random aisle, checking out random things when I heard

"Mrs. Day? Is that you, Mrs. Day?"

Five years after retirement, and I still turn and smile when I hear my name.

It was my teacher hater from my credit recovery class.

He gave me a big hug and shared his life with me. The first thing he did was whip out his phone and show me pictures of his two baby girls, and then, he introduced me to his girlfriend who obviously loves him. He's got a good job, although he's looking for something else. He just looks happy. 

Even today, the best part of teaching is connecting with students. Although now, I get to see them as adults and smile because they have created a good life for themselves.

7 comments:

  1. Ah...your post is the post all teachers need to read and remember on the hard days...teachers make a difference and impact the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that’s a good trip to Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those big heart happy stories. I love that you ran into him and got to share in the joy of his success and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved this slice so much! This really is the best part of teaching. A few weeks ago, a student who graduated in 2005 contacted me and it was amazing to catch up! (Also, how in the world did that much time pass?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is. I love seeing my kids out and adulting!

      Delete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...