Sunday, March 5, 2023

5/31 #sol23 Down a Rabbit Hole

 I am not a late-day slicer, but I went down a rabbit hole today that threw off my whole morning.

Today, you see, would have been my grandparent's wedding anniversary. I don't know how or why I know that it is March 5th, but I always remember the date. It wasn't like they celebrated it (that I knew of anyway). I don't even remember them being overly affectionate. I just know the date.

But that started the trip down the hole.

I didn't know the year. 

First, I looked for a printed copy of my dad's family tree. Maybe that would tell me.  But no. Something I've put my hands on several times a year is nowhere to be found. 

Then I went to Family Search, a free ancestry site where I have an account. I did find out they were married in 1931, but, oddly, no marriage certificate.

I kept searching. 

When I clicked on Grandma's name, her family came up and some things had been added since the last time I was on this site. One of those things was another sister. One who died the same day she was born. Her birthday? The same as my grandma's.

Grandma was a twin?  Didn't know that.

Then I looked for a birth certificate. Nothing. But there was a death certificate for the baby that died. 

Curiouser and curiouser.

I finally dug myself out of the hole and moved on. 

But I have a feeling I'll be heading back down.


Just a little writing inspiration


4 comments:

  1. Rabbit hole adventures are always worth the trip...and provide for story slices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great rabbit hole to go down. I can't wait to hear about what you find out on your next trip down the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of your rabbit hole adventure this morning. While everyone seems to be sharing everything these days, that was not the case not that long ago....everything was jus part of a family's underground story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the anonymous commenter!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...