Wednesday, March 23, 2016

{solsc} 23/31 #sol16 What Did I Do Today?

I did it!
I left my room today.
It's not that I don't trust my student teacher--I do. But I like chatting with her and the kids. I just knew I had to get out of there and let her do her thing.

But was does a teacher who isn't teaching do all day?

I left this note on the board for my students--just so they don't forget me. We're in a Winter Storm Warning, so I know the questions on all of their minds is "Will we get out early?" and "Will we have
school tomorrow?" My note answers both questions!

First hour, I said hello to my independent writing students and reminded them of deadlines and then went to the art room and gushed over the painting of her walls. I reminded her that when she got done having kids paint her walls, I do have one rather large one they could use for a canvas.

Second hour is our prep period. Since I didn't really have work to do, I mostly checked the radar to see how the storm was doing. I forwarded a couple of important emails to Amanda.

Third hour was exciting! I was sitting in the lounge watching this great TedTalk about Procrastination  (there's more below the video)



Just as I finished, the art teacher came in with her student observer. She needed some graphic novels to look at to use for mentor texts in a lesson she was designing combining art and literacy!  WooHoo! Someone needed me.

That lasted for about five minutes.

And I'm back. Writing a blog post.

Fourth-sixth hours found me in the support services room so I could try and get a little work done. I slipped a bit after lunch and spent some time in my room talking to kids. But I realized I was interfering in what Amanda was doing and left to work.  And I did. A little. I started looking at resources for the digital storytelling unit I do in Creative Writing. I've moved it to the last few weeks of school and want to expand it a bit. I took a few notes and tried to concentrate, but man, it was tough!

Seventh hour found me back in the lounge, trying to accomplish something. People kept coming in and chatting, so finally I gave up on the work and just spent time talking with those I don't get to see all that often. And you know what? It was nice. And I'm not going to feel guilty!

Eighth hour I finally gave up and went into my room. The weather was getting bad. The lights were flickering on and off. Excuses, yes. But it was nice to be back. And get caught up on the happenings of the day.


5 comments:

  1. It's hard to leave the classroom - but so good to give a student teacher the time without you! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. Just a few weeks ago you were frantically busy, and now, twiddling the thumbs. Remember this, it won't be forever! But as I wrote before, you're lucky to have such a marvelous student teacher! Happy Snow Day. We got a lot, over a foot. Calm now, but I'm hoping not to get stuck going out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to watch the TED talk, later. Oops, is that procrastinating? It was fun to follow you through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you're always busy and have things to do, it's hard to slow down and search outside of your box (room)for something to do. But I'm sure Amanda appreciated the time that she spent with "your" kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had eight (I think) student teachers and know the feeling of not wanting to leave. I'd come back to my room shortly before the bell and stand outside so kids could see me. But I rarely ran out of work.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...