Today, my student teacher Amanda starts for real. Yesterday was in-service. Today, my kids come into the picture. And today, having a student teacher makes me nervous. I'm not nervous about her abilities. She's already been hired for next year and she was their top pick. She did a great job in her other placement. But....
Those are my kids. And just like any parent, I want the best for them. And I want people to see the amazing things in them that I do.
I need her to notice
- My quiet author and the shy smile you get when you read her work
- The slacker kid who is reading more books this year than ever before
- The passion of my auto mechanic and how excited he is that I found a car book for him
- Those crazy political kids really do know what they are talking about
- My pixie in homebase who needs a smile and support every day
- My 8th grade Big Bang Theory boys are many, many things besides smart
- My 8th grade girls are smart too and smart is good. They need positive role models to stay that way
- The boy behind the hair. And there are several.
- The ones who are finding their way in the world
- The sweetness of the snowboarder (and learn his story)
- The angry boy just wants approval
- My hunter girl really struggles and needs positive support in class
- Improv boy is more than funny. He's caring and smart and creative in other ways
- That sometimes, an "I don't care" attitude is masking a fear of failure
- That these kids will do anything for a teacher they like
There's more, of course. And, I'm sure she'll be amazing with my kids. Not too amazing, though. They're still mine!