Friday, January 17, 2020

If This Isn't Nice...

Paula Borque shared an article on the #100daysofnotebooking Facebook page the other day. It just resonated with me. It was called "What Kurt Vonnegut Taught Us About the Science of Happiness.

The article tells us that our brains are like velcro with bad experiences and Teflon for the good. We simply don't acknowledge the little things that make us happy and think about them long enough for them to stick in our brains.


We need to pay attention to the things that make us happy.

And that is why I've been celebrating moments in my life for a few years now. It's the little things that really make me happy, and it's the little things I want to remember.

And I almost forgot to write this blog post today. But here I am. Writing about the moments where I said,

"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

1. I subbed in an English classroom this week. Always nice to feel at home in someone else's classroom. I even book talked a couple of books in freshman English!

2. We had snow a couple of days this week--and the storm this weekend--so it really makes me happy that we now have a snowblower I can run. It's too much for my husband's back to do all of the shoveling and blowing. With this new blower, I can help.

3. I'm much stronger physically than I was last year at this time and it really helps when it comes to taking over some of the "chores" that my husband used tries to do.

4. Seeing Roomie at the grocery store and making plans for a "date night" . We haven't had a good heart to heart in a while. I'll be looking forward to this.

5. Just enjoying a cozy day at home. A little reading. A little "The Crown" and now some Hawkeye basketball.

Enjoy your weekend. Pay attention to the things that make you smile. And remember the mantra:

"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

1 comment:

  1. I saw this post too and loved it!! I love your noticings too. Reading about your small moments was a nice part of my morning! ☕️

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...