Saturday, June 2, 2018

The Art Of Doing Nothing


Ruth's son, Sam, inspired my post this morning. If you haven't read Ruth's post about Sam's summer to do list, you should hop on over and read it.

Here at the lake, we all do have chores to do and jobs to go home to, but while here, most of us have mastered the art of doing nothing. And it's a beautiful place to do nothing. After Sam's explanation, I thought I'd make my own list.


Taking Chloe on a long walk along the lakeshore is always a great way for me to do nothing. Especially when I let Chloe take the lead. She loves when I just let her go where she wants and sniff everything in her path. I do have to pay attention to her a little bit, though. She's been known to almost pull me off my feet when she gets a whiff of some critter and wants to go off hunting.






Reading is also a great way to relax. My problem is when I read outside I sometimes just put my book down and stare at the lake. There is nothing more relaxing than watching the waves roll into shore. I also watch the birds a lot. Their eyesight must be fantastic. I sure can't see the bugs they are dive-bombing!






Naps are always a good relaxer. At home I never need them. Here at the lake, I often "close my eyes for a minute". It's not hard work that makes me sleepy, just plain old-fashioned relaxation.

Short walks around the resort are great for doing nothing. You can also check-in with all the others doing nothing, see how their nothingness is doing. You have to be careful on these walks though. The ones who haven't perfected the art of doing nothing will try to guilt you into "doing something". They will try to make you see the error of your ways. My advice is to excuse yourself and just keep walking! Avoid the busyness!

Although sometimes watching others work can be fun. Crowds gather some days when new trailers get pulled in, when decks are being built, and old trailers are being painted. Yes. I have watched paint dry. The trick when watching others work is not to offer any suggestions on how to do it better. If you do that, be prepared to be invited to work!

Now. I'm curious. What's your favorite way to do nothing?

5 comments:

  1. Love your 'piggy-backing' on Sam's idea, Deb. Doing nothing for me is that time when I realize I really don't have one thing on my list. I can simply enjoy sitting on my patio or walking through the garden to see what has bloomed lately. I also watch the squirrels quite a lot! Good times! I love your advice to NOT give advice. I agree, you will be invited to join in if you do give it! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing nothing - my favorite do nothing activity is lunch on the deck with a book! Love the menu of possibilities you have at the lake for doing nothing. Watching the water - I like doing that to, but I have to leave home for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your post was inspired by Sam's idea! One of my favorite do-nothing is coloring or making something with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You can also check-in with all the others doing nothing, see how their nothingness is doing." Check in with me again in ten days, please. Loved your post, your celebration of doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much wisdom in this line, "When I let Chloe take the lead." I love the image this evokes. It also strikes me that you are enjoying the rhythms of life even without a school year to moderate those rhythms. Enjoy every gorgeous moment of doing nothing, especially with Chloe in the lead!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...