Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Quiet of the Morning


I have first hour prep this year and, at first, I didn't think I would like it. But I've come to appreciate this start to my day.


No bell signals
Students move by instinct 
to where they need to go

The hum of the furnace 
in the background
as I drink coffee 
and
plan my day.

They enter quietly.
"Can I work in your comfy chairs?"
"Sure. thanks for asking."
Another enters.
"Morning, Mrs. Day. I've changed my story again."
"What are you writing about now?"

We conference.
She works.
I work.
The hum of the furnace
and
the clicking of keys
accompany 
the quiet of my morning.

6 comments:

  1. I love this scene - quiet, comfortable, filled with a warmth of spirit. I have first period prep every other day...it's the best! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to "be" at work & do quiet things. I understand perfectly, & you've written just enough to paint that picture, Deb. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a quiet way to get yourself prepared for a nonstop busy day. Have a blessed holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you invited us to your place with this slice! Those sounds are the best. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A peaceful start in the morning is good for the mind to get ready for a day. Using just few words left space for the quiet. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like getting to work early to have some quiet time before the rush of the day begins. Your space sounds cozy and inviting. Have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...