Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lake Life, Chloe Style

Life is tough for a lake dog.  There is a lot to accomplish every day--sometimes, 24  hours just isn't enough time in the day! The day starts as soon as the sun really begins shining through the bedroom window. Usually about 6:00AM.  First job of the day is to be the alarm clock, since no such thing exists at the lake.  Really, sleep in??? You're wasting the best part of the day. Once she is up, it's time to go outside. She says it is to go to the bathroom, but it is really the perfect time to finish digging that hole in the front yard.  Someone keeps filling the hole in, so it is a never-ending job.

Once we have had our coffee and written the blog post, it is time for our walk. Really, I think she would read forever if I didn't make her go every day. Geez!  There is always a lot of things happening on these walks. I have to be very watchful and protective in this unfamiliar territory. I stick very close to her because you never know what might jump out from the bushes and attack!

When we get back from our walk, I get a big drink and then she puts down that bowl of disgusting dog food. Even though she tries to make it a little more palatable by adding a few pieces of Pupperoni, it really doesn't help.  And who in their right mind would eat that stuff with all the delectable delights waiting for me around the resort. I'll wait for the short walks around the place as she goes and visits friends. If I play it right, there are lots of treats coming my way and I won't have to eat the dog food. And if there aren't treats coming my way, there is always the tasty toad jerky that I find in the road!

The grandkids are coming this week. That's always fun. They love me lots, so I gets plenty of petting and hugs. Plus, those kids aren't very watchful of their food. If I can't eat cookies or hotdogs out of their hands, there's always the crumbs on the floor. Yum! They also bring my friends Zoe and Bella, so I have someone to play with and dig holes with.

I take a morning nap to make up for rising so early. Why can't she read then?  But she is always up and moving while I try to sleep. It can be really irritating.  Later, we walk around the resort and see what everyone's doing. The renters in the cabins LOVE me and we always stop so they can pet me and tell me how cute I am. Sometimes, though, the renters bring their own dogs along. I'd like to get to know some of them--especially the handsome male ones, but they bark at me so much, I just leave.

Usually she leaves me in the afternoon. Takes some big bag with her and it seems like she is gone forever.  I hate it when she does that. I don't know why I can't go along and play. I'd be good. And, besides, everyone loves a cute dog. I'm sure no one would mind if I was there. Some days, when it is really hot, she stays home. On these days we go swimming in the afternoon. I love playing in the water. I can never catch the waves, but I keep trying. My favorite thing to do when I get out of the water is to roll in the sand. It feels sosooooo good as it scratches my back. I don't know why, but she always makes me get back in the water after I do that. I love it when we come back to the trailer and she rubs me down with the towel. And the best thing is, I get to sit in front of the fan to finish drying off!

When she comes back from wherever she goes without me, it is time to sit outside. Sometimes it's just the two of us. Sometimes she takes me to a friend's house. I really don't care what we do, just as long as we are outside. There's always people around to pet me and play with me. And I can always start a new hole if I get bored.

Later, we head into the trailer and she lays on the couch and reads her darn book. I try to get her attention by throwing toys at her and jumping on top of her.  This usually works and she tosses the toys for awhile. Sometimes, though, she gives me a big bone to chew on. That's the best!  Later, I try to get her to go to bed at a decent time by jumping up on the bed and going to sleep, but she just ignores me. When she does finally come in the bedroom, she makes me get down!  Really! I don't understand why, because without Dad here there is plenty of room for me. Ah, well. The blanket she gives me is pretty comfy.

Well, that's the post for today. Another job crossed off my list. Let's see, hmmm, must be time for our walk. See you later.



9 comments:

  1. Great to hear from Chloe, and all about her daily life and its ups and downs. She said it right, can't understand that person who doesn't want to get up, or go for more walks. Tough life! I love the toad jerky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So can you teach me to write too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Chloe! Finding time to write in your busy day. It is fun to hear your perspective. You should ask for a weekly column.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a pretty fine life. Eating those table scraps are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chloe, it sounds like you have an incredibly wonderful owner and life. Enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a life, we could learn much from Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and love dogs!!!! I love the toad jerky!! Dogs are great companions. Our pets are all gone after 40 years. We know the responsibility that lies with them, so we are not counting on getting any others. But I sure do miss that greeting, panting, and the sound of the metal collar. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chloe is so down to earth- who knew? I think I would enjoy hanging out with her- clearly you enjoy her too because you gave her such a likable voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You captured dog life perfectly. Great post. Makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...