Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Sounds of Silence

Join me slicing at Two Writing Teachers

Quiet conversations:
"Did you hear about those women who were rescued? I can't believe someone would do that. Keep them prisoner for so long."

"Hey, Mark, my battery lasted six years longer than it was supposed to.

"When we jumped it, we had to leave it on a long time."

"Mrs. Day, what about the mini-assignments? We never did those, and they are on our portfolio sheet."

"Now that, that took a long time."

Kids typing, birds chirping, noses sniffling.

These are the quiet sounds I am listening to this morning. So unusual for this class, which is normally loud and crazy and a great way to start the day.

I miss the energy they exude....

But they are being "productive."


5 comments:

  1. That is one thing I miss about being retired...hearing the students chatter. You can learn so much from listening. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topics run the gambit with kids. It's fun to listen in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this peek at the snippets of student conversation in your room! It is so easy to imagine being right there with you! A lovely way to craft your slice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing what your kids say, Deb. You've put it out there just right, nice & easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening - such a great way to get to know someone better. If only we could all listen instead of speaking, we'd learn so much about others.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...