Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What to Write, What to Write

5:30am. I awake like I do every Tuesday morning (my body just seems to know it is Slice of Life Tuesday!). Chloe greets me with morning hugs and kisses, I start the coffee and sit down to write.

Nothing.

Really. Nothing.

I couldn't think of a thing to write about today.  And then I started reading other blog posts. And I met with my writing group. And the ideas began to flow.

So now I have a long list of ideas and I can't pick just one.  So here's the list--watch for upcoming posts:

1. Linda at TeacherDance wrote about her beautiful granddaughter and what a "nice" baby she is.  And that moved her thinking to the nice kids in class who sometimes get the short end of the stick when we teach.  Thoughts to ponder. Even though I am always an advocate for the "bad boy", there's truth to this.

2. Christy at Living posted about her school being in the news for a bullying incident and how the news stated that the school did nothing about it.  Always the bad news about what happens in school. She went on to share a very nice thing that someone at her school did.  Much better news for me.

I've avoided writing about an incident at our school and the way it was handled in the press and community. But maybe now is the time.  I don't know. But I know it's definitely time for some good news!

3. Ruth and Stacey both brought tears to my eyes as they wrote about those little moments with their children.  I really  miss those days with mine. I could start capturing some of those moments in my blog.

4. And as my class of really nice kids work on their presentations for their informative speech and talk about movies they haven't seen (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, anything black and white) I could write about movies and books I think they should read or see (although I really hate that when someone tells me what I should read or see).

OK. So now I have ideas to write about. But now my time is done  :o(

8 comments:

  1. It does help to read other people's writings. Sometimes it is uncanny how a piece of writing I've done though, mirrors someone else's thoughts that day even before I've read anything! Looking forward to hearing more about something on the above list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention Deb! I know what you mean. Sometimes as I read posts, I jot ideas in my notebook for future use. And even then sometimes reading the list doesn't influence me. I like your post today that shows your meandering thoughts about things you care about. It seems thoughtful to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad our entries inspired you to write about the little ones. I'm grateful I do it on my daughter's personal blog daily (even when it feels tedious).
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, you take an idea of nothing to write about and create a wonderful menu of items to select from for weeks ahead. I always enjoy your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having the same kind of day -- I totally don't feel like writing! (And I'm not doing as well as you -- I haven't written yet!) I always start as you did though, by reading other people's posts. And like you, I often find that when I'm finished, I have too many ideas instead of none!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Collecting ideas is half the fun, isn't it? Thanks for the link. It's always good to connect. Know that there are plenty of people out there like me who think about the real story behind what is shared in the news. You have a good variety of new topics to write about one day- but get back to work on that novel for now! :)

    p.s. I think I share your passion for reaching out to the "bad boys" and most troubled students. Linda's post is definitely a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! Enjoyed your slice of not writing today. I think writing days like this are important for us to experience...our students feel like this too. Cool little list & thanks for the link. Your comment on my post today gave me pause. You're right -- I have no idea what it will be like when he's too big to give me little boy hugs every morning. In fact, I'm going to refuse to think about it because it hurts too much right now.

    Glad you wrote -- even when you didn't know what to write about.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reflection is food for thought, which is where our writing flows from. Thanks for proving it.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...