Saturday, June 25, 2011

Only in Iowa

White cow with dark spots grazing on a hillphoto © 2008 Horia Varlan | more info (via: Wylio)
Life at the lake is always interesting. You never know what you are going to see and yesterday was no exception!

I headed into town to pick up a few things, music blaring and my mind going over the list of things I needed to remember, bag of dirt, chicken for lunch, mail a bill...  As I rounded the last curve I noticed two cows walking down the road ahead of me. I wondered what they needed from town! I slowed down and to my right I noticed a couple more loping down a path toward the highway. I stopped the car and watched 12-15 more walk out onto the highway!

I began to slowly follow them as they traveled. Several times the lead cow started down into the ditch and I hoped I might get around them. Then I noticed a big truck coming down the road in the other lane. Well, this should be interesting I thought. Wonder what they will do now?  The cows were definitely taking up most of the highway, so the truck pulled over a bit onto the shoulder and slowly drove around them. This, however, spooked the herd, so they turned around and began stampeding back the way they came---right at me!

Now, I drive a little Pontiac Vibe.  Not exactly a cow proof vehicle if one of them ran into me! So, I stopped the car again, tapped my horn once as one of them got closer to me and just watched as one by one they all ran around me, following the truck.

I don't know what happened to them after that. I saw someone pull into the farm lane that I had passed before the I saw the cows, so I hope they were rounded up!

4 comments:

  1. Someone's morning did not go well, that's for sure. I love the line "I wonder what they needed from town." It seems you're always having some adventures at the lake-good to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how funny! What a sight that would have been to see. I sure hope those cows got home ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your post title summed it all up perfectly...I could not imagine this happening in New Jersey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first moved to the farm 25 years ago I learned fast that when someone calls and says "Your cows are out" everybody runs. One of ours was killed on the highway when he was hit by a car. The small car didn't survive either. But the driver did. Glad you didn't meet one of them hard.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...