Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's All About the Wine

Finishing off a long weekendphoto © 2010 fringley | more info (via: Wylio)
Laughter, sharing, listening, drinking, eating, laughter...and, once in awhile, we talk about books.

Eleven of us started a book club a couple of years ago. Readers, we were always telling each other, "Oh, you should read this."  Wanting to discuss a great find, we searched for someone else who read the same book. Finally, one of us said, "We should start a book club."  And we did.

We meet monthly in a beautiful space on the upper floor of an art/framing store owned by one of our members and her husband. It is the perfect place for a group of women to meet...old brick walls and wooden floors, accented with deep, comfy couches and chairs that we can sink into as we eat, drink, laugh and discuss.

Six of us met after school to discuss Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, the book of the month. Some had read it, some had not. Some liked it, some did not.  That wasn't really the point, we decided. The point was to meet, eat, drink, laugh, and discuss.

And that we did.

We talked about the lockdown drill our school ran earlier in the day and the inservice after lunch. We discussed about how sad one character's life was and how he reminded us of far too many students in our classes. We empathized...

We are also reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin month by month. We talked a lot about her premise that we shouldn't fear failure--or we should have fun with failure--or something like that. We all agreed that is easier said than done. But we understood the concept she was trying to get across.

We all enjoyed the food, drink and company. Meeting with this group of intelligent women soothes my soul. They make me smarter. They make me more compassionate. All too soon it was time for us to head home. Even CInderella had to leave the ball.

As I arrived home to a flooded bathroom and a plumber trying to fix the problem, my husband asked, "So, did you even talk about the book?  Or did you just eat and drink?"

I just smiled. I love a man who gets it...

6 comments:

  1. So fun--I love my book club. It's small; just 4 of us, though we started as 2. And we are a little unconventional in that we don't all read the same book at the same time. But we love to talk books and reading and living...and of course there is always food!
    Hooray for communities that provide escape, energy and enthusiasm to our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what you wrote on the SOLSC posting page--about getting to the daily writing again. I agree, and hate always to lose that push. But I have laid down some tasks to do this one, and I must retrieve those idle chores and tackle them. I have enjoyed reading your slices--and thank you very much for all the nice comments you left on my blog! It's been a great Slicer year.

    See you next year!
    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking, laughing, eating, drinking with friends -- that's what keeps us alive and happy! You are glad you started writing again??? No, I'm glad that you started writing again! I've really enjoyed reading your slices - it's been an amazing month and I hope you continue to share and write as well! Thanks for all the comments too! Talking, laughing, eating, drinking with friends - exactly what was ordered! (Even better that your husband gets it! Love that!)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for describing your group. It sounds perfect. We had a group last year, but it just didn't work so well. One person never read the book; one person never liked the book, etc. I need a different group. Anyway, I love to discuss books & am so glad you're having a good experience. It's been lovely reading all that you've written-I too am glad you're writing again! Just reading your slice titles takes me back, sometimes for a chuckle, like the 'green bug' & the 'silent cat'. Here's to future slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a book club, also. We try to meet in someone's home and sometimes that is good. Your meeting place sounds great--no fuss or muss for anyone. I like your comment about Cinderella--clever. Yes, keep writing. That's my goal, too. I'm suppose to work on a large writing project. I have ideas, but just can't get into it. Good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun group. You are a lucky lady to find and form such as group. It can be very challenging to form a book club. Wine, laughter and books are great combination.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...