Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why is There a Giant Green Bug in My Hallway?

Students enter speech class with a certain amount of trepidation. Many proclaim they will not be able to speak in front of class.But, they all want to know, when do they get to make the commercial?

5 years ago, this was a simple project. Create a school commercial promoting the high school using the persuasive techniques we learned about in class. Students wrote the script, practiced a day and then they performed their creation live in front of the rest of the class, reading off the script. Somehow, this activity took on a life of its own.

After three days of lecture, the showing of previous commercials and the explanation of three different commercial choices, it now requires at least a week of writing and practicing. Then there is the filming--much of it done outside of class and over a weekend. There are costumes, music, and memorized scenes. I am lucky that my room is the only classroom in my hallway because the kids spread out and practice there. Once students have filmed, many need a day or two to edit their movie. Some do this at home, some do it in imovie here at school. DVDs are made and given to me with the hope that I will show their's to the next class. Several have been uploaded to YouTube.

Why has this happened? Because I love it when students take a simple idea and run with it.  Creative thinkers--the world needs more of them.

Anyone need a remote to pause the world and delete awkward moments? It can be yours for 3 easy payments of $99.99!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a loved project & I like the way you said 'somehow the project took on a life of its own'. Somehow it seems it hasn't always been smooth sailing. But it's right about 'creative thinkers--the world needs more of them.' And you can see the excitement of the child in the picture-that means a lot to me. Sorry for the expense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best part isn't it - when our kids just make our teaching idea their very own?!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...