Monday, March 14, 2011

Lullaby Weave

Barry Lane has a great activity in his book "But How Do You Teach Writing?" that I love to use with my Creative Writing students. It's called a lullaby weave.  Here's my shot at it, using the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon", one I used to sing with my sons when they were young.

Late on a Friday night
                     A dragon lives forever
One son on each knee
                     But not so little boys
Singing and Rocking
                     Painted wings and giants' string
Cuddling and talking
                     Make way for other toys.
Wishing they could stay this small forever
                     One grey night it happened,
Knowing they won't
                     Jackie Paper came no more
Tucking the memory in my heart
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't read this, but have been using the idea for a while with poetry writing students & their favorite pop songs. What a sweet idea to weave it into a lullaby. You were clever in that juxtaposition of your words to the 'puff' words. Nice to 'hear'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, this is so cool! It would be fun to read it with two voices. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of poems for two voices. Nice twist the way you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like Storykeeper's idea of hearing the poem with two voices. I'm going to write this idea in my little book, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...