Sunday, March 20, 2011

He Learned from the Best

There is something very satisfying connecting with adult children. You get a lot smarter the older they get. We stopped to visit and have lunch with our oldest son and his family yesterday. I've been thinking a lot about a comment our son made toward the end of the visit.

Greg thanked Mitch for lunch and complimented him on grilling the hamburgers etc. Mitch replied, "I learned from the best."  But grilling wasn't the only thing he learned...

Mitch was three years old when I met Greg; four when we got married.  Especially when Mitch was a teenager, they didn't always see eye to eye.  Most of their issues were normal father and son problems, but somewhere in the back of his head, Mitch often felt Greg couldn't love him as much as his younger brother.

Flash forward 15 years. Mitch is now the dad to 5-year-old twins. He is not their biological father, but he loves them as if they were.  Two years ago at Christmas, he stopped his dad on the stairs and told him, "Now I get it."

He really did learn from the best.

5 comments:

  1. I like the way you told this story. Even though I can't identify totally, you had me in the tip of your pen! Your son paid your husband, his "dad" the best compliment he could pay him. That is so cool when older children "get it!" Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a special time when your children become more than that, become friends, colleagues in these lives we lead. I had a stepfather too, & he definitely was my dad. I like the way you led up to the icing part of the story. You told it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm really going to hate it when this month is up and Coffee with Chloe ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee with Chloe won't end--this is just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww this brings tears to my eyes. I've experienced the stepparent situation with both myself and my children. I luckily had an amazing experience such as your son. Unfortunately my kids didn't have such luck. I choose wrong and they suffered.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...