Saturday, March 10, 2018

{solsc} 10/31 #sol18 Of Hope and Celebration

Discover. Play. Build.

Combining Jennifer Laffin's Word of the Day Hope, which also showed up in Ruth Ayers' Celebrate  post today. Two words that definitely go together.

One of the things I hoped when I started subbing this fall, was that teachers I wasn't particularly close to would want me in their classroom. I knew my friends did, but what about the others?  And the kids. Although I knew MY kids would be glad to see me once in awhile, but I hoped that those I didn't have relationships with would give me a chance. Irrational fears, but fears just the same.



Tuesday helped put these irrational fears to rest. I came in to sub for the Ag teacher (Agriculture, Horticulture, FFA Leadership, Ag mechanics, etc). I really know nothing about these classes and was a little nervous. As I was walking down to his classroom, the Ag teacher was walking my way.

"Are you coming down to my room?" he asked.
"Yep."
"Oh good. When I saw you coming I hoped it was for me and not someone else! It's going to be a crazy day with a two hour late start and messed up schedule, plus the pep assembly for the girls. I was hoping I would get someone who could be flexible and go with the flow."

And there it was. That's what I hoped for when I started subbing. Teachers like me in their rooms because I take care of THEIR kids. 
                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other Celebrations this week:
  • Morning hugs from my kids at school (Yep. Some high school kids still want a hug)
  • Comments like, "You should just come back to work Mrs. Day. You're here a lot anyway."
  • The power of story: Listening to the stories of Arlo Guthrie this week reminded me of the importance of keeping those family stories alive.
  • Friends who go out of their way to make you feel welcome in their home. 
  • Daylight Savings Time starts 
  • Snow Days ( I still like them and treat them like I did when I worked full time) and the best part is, I don't have to make them up !
  • Our Girls Basketball team won the 3A basketball championship last Saturday, setting several records in the process. Three of the girls also made the All-Tournament team. It was an exciting ride!
  • I don't have to give standardized tests anymore!
Ok. That's it for this week.  What are YOU celebrating?

10 comments:

  1. Yay to not giving standardized tests anymore! Although I did the training for three years and was called on every year, but not anymore. Love that you treat snow days as fun days. It's a joy to have teachers like you sub. (We remember what happens when a bad sub is there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of love for you and from you in this post. It's always great to go back and be in the old stomping grounds for a few years, but eventually the kids all move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopes come true. I am happy for you that the subbing is working out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your 'sub' story, though not at all surprised, Deb. Subbing where you're appreciated is the best kind. And I love the list, too. Not too long till spring! And the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had a great week to celebrate. And I'm sure that All of the teachers in your school would love to have you in their classroom because you care. Celebrating vacation time with my special honey, visiting places we've never been to, getting together with a special friend and visiting with hubby's cousin and his wife in their soon to be new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Even though it seems like we shouldn't /need/ affirmation, it's such a powerful force! Good for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb,

    I am so glad that your love for kids and their education is being recognized. What a great feeling it must be to have your hope come true & listening to the Ag teacher.

    Happy subbing.

    Purviben

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I have said before, retired teachers make the BEST subs. I am sure anyone in your building love to have you. Coming from a basketball state - Indiana - congrats on the state title. Wonderful celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your subbing experiences are going well. I wish you the best and I know I appreciate good subs so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to the days I won’t have to make up snow days or give standardized tests!! I was a full-time sub for a year at the beginning of my teaching... I don’t know what I will do in retirement (it’s getting closer), but probably not subbing.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...