Monday, January 1, 2018

OLW2017: A Reflection

By last January, I knew that I was headed for retirement. And while I was excited and fairly ready for it, I also wondered who I would be if not Mrs. Day. What would I do? How would I fill my days? I used my One Little Word for 2017,  DISCOVER, as a way to figure out the next chapter of my life.

At times, I didn't think I was really discovering much of anything, but when I sat down to think about it, there were a few discoveries along the way:


  • Love comes back to you when you put it out in the world.
  • Remembering is fun, but appreciating the moment is important and gives me more memories to look back on.
  • There is life beyond teaching, although I am a teacher at heart.
  • Sunday nights are a lovely time to watch movies, read a book or doze in the chair under a cozy blanket.
  • Tuesday at 11:00am is a great time to go grocery shopping!
  • There are books I haven't read in this great place called a library. They let me take home books for free (as long as I bring them back)
  • Summer lasts through September. And September is a beautiful time at the lake.
  • It's easier to keep your house clean when you don't work every day.
  • I have hoarder tendencies.
  • There is JOY in getting rid of clutter.
  • Subbing is a great way to see my friends, do what I love, and not have homework every night.
  • My friends at school still value my advice. 
  • It's great to feel like a rock start when I walk into school and see students.
  • Traveling at times other than June, July and August is possible.
And now, as we head into 2018, I'm ready to start appreciating this time of my life....



3 comments:

  1. You still have so many more stories to write. I hope you continue to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...you're back! Be still my soul. ;) I love the eclectic nature of your bulleted reflection. Here's to a new chapter and finding your writing self once again.
    Shine on,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you now wonder how you got everything accomplished while you were working? I look back and see that I was much more organized, but didn't have time to truly enjoy living my life. And now, being retired I don't get nearly as much accomplished, but find joy in everything I do. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...