Sunday, January 28, 2018

Celebrate: The Graduates (and a few of the Almost Graduates)

Retirement.

It could have been a lot harder to adjust to this if not for one special group of people.

My former students.

At times these past few months, I've felt a little lost. What to do with myself? I'm finding projects, purging closets, filling time. But about once a month, I'll get a text or a Facebook message from one of "my kids" and it seems to right my world again.

It started right away in August (which was a great time to hear from someone)


We had a great conversation about The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and our school district.

My first visit back to school was to see a student who just needed to talk to me again. For a while, I went back every couple of weeks just to visit with her and make sure she was OK. Now that I'm subbing, I see her more frequently, but she is handling her issues and doesn't need me as much as she did. And that's a good thing :)

A text I received the other day began with "Hey Mom". One of my speech kids--and I was school mom to him--was just checking with me about a book we read in College Prep Lit. Another former student wanted to quote it in a paper he was writing and couldn't remember the name of the book (It was Night by Elie Weisel).

Last week a favorite student tagged me in her Facebook post because she decided to use a One Little Word this year. She and I are going to have lunch next week. I can't wait to catch up on her world.

And, of course, there are my kids still at the high school

  • A, who squeals with delight every time she realizes I'm subbing in one of her classes
  • L, who pretends he hates it, but just followed me on Instagram
  • B and R who give me the best hugs whenever I'm in school
  • K, C, and J who asked if I would still write letters of recommendation for them, even though I'm retired
  • And all my formers who are still writing. They send me links or share them on Facebook. I love that they keep their blogs up.
A special shout-out to my colleagues who ask for me to be their sub when they have to be gone.

I'm learning to APPRECIATE this time in my life. I think I'm going to refer to them as my Rock Star Years.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for all the notes and hugs and requests you're getting. :) You are definitely a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not surprised you are a "rock star", Deb. How wonderful that the connections continue. Many are for me too, especially with those who are grown, some now having babies, etc. I just had coffee last week with a student with whom I keep in touch before he left for his senior college year. It is wonderful to see what they are doing, how they are, etc. Cheers to you in your first year "out"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting close to retirement.. wishing for it some days and thinking I couldn’t possibly stand it other days. I do look forward to a good time of life, and several slicers are modeling that, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock Star Years! You go, retired teacher, it's so great that you're still feeling the love from your former students and the appreciation at school. I loved subbing, it was a great way to ease my way into retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy that you have these connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Deb. I like that these are going to be your Rock Star Years. Obviously some of your students are still enjoying communications with you.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...