Sunday, October 13, 2013

Time to CELEBRATE

Discover. Play. Build.


"Nothing without JOY". 

I have focused this year on finding the little bits of joy that often times go unnoticed and unappreciated. I found that the more I focused on the things that bring me JOY, the less I focused on the negativity. Not that I don't have negative moments, or have negative people in my life, I just choose not to focus on them. So, happily, I join in Ruth's CELEBRATE this week (and thanks for the shout out, Ruth). 





This is the front of our high school. Isn't it amazing? These are window shades. From the outside you see this great CELEBRATION of our high school and our amazing students. From the inside, you see nothing. These shades block the sun and glare that come in the windows. 

Drama class. Exercise ball has been a hit with kids

Creative Writing: All students like to use the rocking chair when writing

Creative Writing

The way we read...

Comfy places for kids to work.  Do they sometimes get off track. Yup. Do they sometimes mess around? Yup. But all in all, giving students places to work that are comfortable and easy going has been the best thing I have done in my classroom. There's also a bench, lots of pillows and a rug. Students know that they can sit where they want as long as they work. If there are too many off-task behaviors, they get grounded. No one wants to be grounded!

Helping a student plan out a personal narrative

The best part of these comfy places--support from both my principal and my superintendent. There are many new types of desks and chairs coming to our building because they know that desks in straight rows are not always the best way to learn and collaborate in the 21st century.

Well, that's it for this week. See you all next Saturday for a CELEBRATION of our week!

7 comments:

  1. Love to see this post, Deb. As an elementary teacher, it is refreshing to see high school students engaging in the same environment as my students. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing! Wishing (and hoping) my high school and college daughters are finding these comfy places in their learning spaces!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for always thinking of how to improve learning! Wish all children everywhere had a teacher that cares as much you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about celebrating comfy places to think, read, and write. I know it's what I value for myself, so why wouldn't we want it for our students?! Thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate all the comfy space in your environment and love the oxymoron of the blinds that allow us to see inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too have lots of comfy places-works great. I love seeing your spaces too, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish the whole world to see that comfy and learning are not opposites.

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...