Friday, October 21, 2011

Harriet the Spy


What a coincidence!  My post yesterday for National Day of Writing credited my love of writing back to when I read the book Harriet the Spy as a child. I wanted to be Harriet. I wrote in my own little notebook as I spied on the world around me.

Then, this morning I am checking my Twitter feed (mrsday75) and a tweet by Sharon Creech caught my eye.  All it said was "Harriet the Spy" and gave a link to the Children's Book Almanac site.  Who knew that on October 21, 1964 Harriet the Spy was published. And somewhat controversially, it seems. Harriet was a new kind of children's character in the '60's.

And, I wasn't the only child to want to be Harriet.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to go revisit an old friend's neighborhood!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great link to Harriet's neighborhood. I know it's unbelievable that I've never read Harriet the Spy, but I think I shall. It's never too late. I had my own little world of spydom when I was a child. I would have loved it. I really will check it out and have a nice fall day read! Thanks for the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just emailed our elementary librarian. She is going to bring me the one copy our district owns. I need a reread!

    ReplyDelete

3/17 I'm So Lucky

  I'm so lucky to have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day☘️ Everyone likes to celebrate my birthday (even if they don't like green ...